Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 12 17 5:27 PM

Tags : :

So, I made this joke on Twitter that I was going to make a "Onesie for Two" that Paul and I could wear together. I make jokes like this all the time, but for some reason I felt like I wanted to take this a step further and provide a visual, so I hastily drew this in MS Paint:

91525447525d3e2f96fffbbf73355a4cf06d71d.

I began to think, after tweeting this...that I might actually be able to draw a better picture of me and Paul in MS Paint if I put a little more effort into it. But there were some problems with that.

I've admitted before that I'm a bit sensitive about how I look. I'm short for a man, I have a very large nose and a very large Jay Leno-ish chin with a prominent mole on the right. I'm overweight, but the one advantage to that is that my nose doesn't quite stand out as much as it did when I was very skinny in my teen years.

But because of my looks, I'm shy about posting photos of myself in public, and felt extremely nervous about the idea of drawing myself as a cartoon character. I look like a real-life cartoon character as it is, and making myself into one didn't seem like it was the best idea.

But..I dunno...after I made that Onesie picture, I just really wanted to do it for some reason. We have friends on Yuku and Twitter who don't know what we look like. But Paul is photo-shy, too, and is scared right now to have pictures of himself online. So, I thought I could do a drawing with his permission. He said a drawing would be okay, so I just did this...

3543516d72da560aec9b9074f505ebb99e2c211.

I can't tell you how nervous I was before I sent this to Twitter. I had a feeling I would regret it and have to delete the tweet. I know it's just a simple MS Paint drawing, but the whole idea of making myself into a cartoon struck a personal nerve with me and I wasn't sure this was what I wanted to do. And I was worried about my portrayal of Paul. Did I make him look too heavy? And I didn't want to get his ethnic features wrong, because it could be offensive. But he seemed to really like it, which made me feel so good I felt myself blushing, lol. I think, along with being a very basic idea of what we look like, it also shows our height difference.

So, now I wondered if I could improve from here. Maybe make myself into an even more stylized character. So, while we were up watching Saturday Night Live, I worked on this:

a711507957ea9ef7e977c91c1e4631b68d99a82.

Some notes:

I originally drew myself wearing a plain shirt, but decided the space needed something there. I don't actually own a shirt with a taco on it, but lol, I felt it the best and most appropriate design to put there.

I emphasized my stature by making myself *really* short. Like I've said before, I am short, but not quite this short, but this will also make it easier for me to draw Paul's character and have us be drastically different heights.

I have my hands in my pockets because I was struggling enough as it is to get this to look okay, I didn't want to attempt hands just yet. Hands have always been difficult for me to draw and I wasn't ready to try it with a mouse yet.

Anyway...I was so scared of doing this, but the ironic thing is that I now actually feel somehow more confident in myself. I know it's not a great work of art, but seeing myself as a cartoon and the positive reactions I got to my drawings on Twitter has made me feel much more accepting of how I look. Like, yeah, I'm not tall, dark, and handsome. I'm more like a short, fat little gnome. But I can do something with this. I'm unique. Lol.

I suppose if I want to get more serious I could get a drawing tablet. I found one on Amazon for only $25.99, so they're not even necessarily all that expensive.

I'm going to send this topic to Twitter, so in conclusion, I want to thank everyone who gave me positive feedback again. You're all wonderful people and your encouragement and kind words really help.

"I'll probably never be rich, but I will be a fat man." - Louis Armstrong

Last Edited By: Agisuro Feb 12 17 5:30 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 12 17 6:17 PM

And I was worried about my portrayal of Paul. Did I make him look too heavy? And I didn't want to get his ethnic features wrong, because it could be offensive.
Well, I'm still overweight and I've been candid about my weight problem in public, so no, you didn't make me "too heavy". And you don't have to worry about being "offensive", it looks fine. Couldn't ask for anything better, really. If I tried this, I'd be lucky to make recognizable stick figures, because that's about all I can do.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 12 17 7:20 PM

First of all, this being your personal journal, is it okay to reply to this? If not, I won't make any more replies.

But if we are allowed to reply, I have a question - Do you use guidelines when you draw in MS Paint? The picture of you with the taco shirt is something I would probably need to use guidelines to pull off, but I wonder how easy it would be to neatly wipe them away without affecting other portions of the drawing.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 12 17 7:36 PM

Pero the Cat wrote:
And I was worried about my portrayal of Paul. Did I make him look too heavy? And I didn't want to get his ethnic features wrong, because it could be offensive.
Well, I'm still overweight and I've been candid about my weight problem in public, so no, you didn't make me "too heavy". And you don't have to worry about being "offensive", it looks fine. Couldn't ask for anything better, really. If I tried this, I'd be lucky to make recognizable stick figures, because that's about all I can do.
Oh, believe me, there's definitely a lot of room for improvement. I just have to be careful because I don't want to insult you. I think I made your chin a little too small, and you've discussed before that you also have a large chin (though it's not as big as mine), but you're right that your beard hides it, so since you have a beard right now, I drew it smaller than it maybe should be. Your glasses aren't really right. You wear the narrow rectangular type (hipster glasses some would call them), not the more traditional type like me, but I just kinda hastily drew them.

First of all, this being your personal journal, is it okay to reply to this? If not, I won't make any more replies.
Of course! Reply all you want! I welcome replies. I even welcome suggestions and constructive criticism, I just ask don't be mean or sarcastic. I'm not really much of an artist or cartoonist. This is just something I felt like doing. Maybe it'll go somewhere, maybe not. But one thing's for sure - if Paul or I ever wanted to take up James's suggestion to use pictures of ourselves or our own created characters for avatars, I could give us that option.

Do you use guidelines when you draw in MS Paint? The picture of you with the taco shirt is something I would probably need to use guidelines to pull off, but I wonder how easy it would be to neatly wipe them away without affecting other portions of the drawing.
I did not use any guidelines for any of these. You can see specks where I erased unwanted lines, and I could've cleaned that up more, but quite frankly, I kind of like the "sketchy" look they give for now, so that's why I didn't try harder. Obviously, if I wanted to really clean this up and make them more "professional" looking or full-color, I would get rid of that stuff.

I do sometimes have an affinity for drawings that are sketchy-looking, though. Not that I don't appreciate completed full-color artwork from people who are much better at this than me, but I kinda feel that sketchy drawings have their place, too. I wouldn't mind if a webcomic was drawn like that so long as the writing and characters were good.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 13 17 3:22 AM

I even welcome suggestions and constructive criticism, I just ask don't be mean or sarcastic.
I would never be intentionally mean. Let me know if you feel something I say sounds mean.

I did not use any guidelines for any of these.
That's impressive.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 13 17 3:36 AM

Flying Omelette wrote:
I even welcome suggestions and constructive criticism, I just ask don't be mean or sarcastic.
I would never be intentionally mean. Let me know if you feel something I say sounds mean.
Oh, no, I did not mean to imply that you were rude or that you would want to be, it's just a general statement. People on the internet can get strange about artwork and sometimes think being really mean will motivate people to draw better, but that's not going to work on me.

I did not use any guidelines for any of these.
That's impressive.
Thanks! Paul might be a little harder to draw full-bodied, so we'll see if I need to use guidelines for that if free-hand or constructing him from basic shapes doesn't work.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 14 17 3:02 PM

Lol, when I look at this board on my mobile phone, it shows a preview of each post. Most of them are just text. But this one shows the picture of me and Paul in the onesie!

Hmm..I didn't quite get Paul's hair right, either. I think it was the angle at which I was looking at him when I made the drawing.

My next attempt to draw Paul may also be more heavily stylized than what I've done here. I already have something in mind. The question is...can I pull it off?

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 14 17 4:12 PM

I have my hands in my pockets because I was struggling enough as it is to get this to look okay, I didn't want to attempt hands just yet. Hands have always been difficult for me to draw and I wasn't ready to try it with a mouse yet.
Hands and eyes are the hardest things for me to draw, too.

I really like these, Dom. Definitely keep at it if you like doing it because you can only improve from here. Maybe eventually you can even draw more of us photo-shy people if you want.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 15 17 6:43 PM

Cute as a button, Dominic. I can imagine that getting a unique style down pat will be easier with a drawing tablet and pen-shaped stylus than it will be with a mouse. I could never draw very well with anything, though.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Feb 16 17 3:09 PM

I want to thank everyone for giving Dominic feedback and words of encouragement. I really do think it would be a good idea for him to take up his drawing hobby again. He told me the main reason he gave it up before is because he was always out with his drinking buddies, but I don't drink and I don't go bar-hopping, so he can spend as much time on it now as he wants.

Oh, believe me, there's definitely a lot of room for improvement. I just have to be careful because I don't want to insult you.
Technical improvements, yes, but what I meant is that your drawing is not offensive and I don't think anything you draw ever would be.

Your glasses aren't really right. You wear the narrow rectangular type (hipster glasses some would call them), not the more traditional type like me, but I just kinda hastily drew them.
Well, glasses aren't an "ethnic feature" anyway, luv. :P

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Feb 27 17 11:40 AM

Thanks, everyone, you're too kind. I got the drawing tablet I ordered and meant to draw my stylized Paul over the weekend, but Mardi Gras festivities got in the way, lol.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help